Friday, February 19, 2010

Goodbye Mama Lacona's

If you follow my blog you know that one of my favorite restaurants in the Des Moines area is Mama Lacona's. As of February 28, 2010 Mama Lacona's will closed their doors and go out of business. You can read about the greasy details on the Des Moines Register web site, just search Mama Lacona's. I'm not a great grease trap mind, so I'll leave the whys and wherefore to the experts.

Mama Lacona's has been a part of my life and family for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid my Dad did sign work for Charlie Lacona and that began a relationship that has continued until now.

In my teen years I took most if not all of my dates to Mama's. I remember taking Lynn there and Charlie called me "little Roger" (my Dad's name) and made us a heart shaped pepperoni pizza. In latter years I've taken many friends there to eat and even introduced Nick to Mama Lacona's and he in turn took his girlfriend there as well. Circle of life thing, whatever, I digress.

Getting older is really no fun. Places you love, places you remember, places and things go by the way. Just gives me pause for thought. Des Moines without Mama Lacona's - Say it ain't so!

Pastor Steve

3 comments:

Morgan Bush said...

At least we've still got Noah's!

Anonymous said...

Hate to see it go! Stuffed Green Pepper was my favorite. One of Carol's friends has the original sign in her garage. Good bye old friend, you'll be missed.......
Big Bro

Anonymous said...

Are you going to come down one last time to eat there? Just let me know when if so. That was where Jessica and I had our first date. It will be sad to see it go.
Nick O.