Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Great Iowa State Fair

One of my favorite late summer activities is attending the Iowa State Fair! This is something I literally grew up doing ... my parents worked at the fair every night at the society horse show in the livestock pavilion and I had somewhat the run of the grounds in those years. I have for the most part always enjoyed going to the fair!

This year was no different! Lynn and I got to attend twice this year. I'm not a "midway" guy, I never have been. I guess they call it the "Thrill Park" these days ... but I'm old enough to remember the old midway.

I have always been a fan of the livestock barns, the agriculture building, the Iowa DNR building, the Mountain Man camp, Pioneer Hall and of course the Varied Industries building. the key to all of those places is that they are all free!!! Free is one of my favorite things! 

However, food at the State Fair is a whole different story! There are places we go on the grounds that are can't miss, every year must haves! In no particular order here are Lynn and I top fav's ... turkey tenderloin, smoked turkey drumstick, honey lemonade, salt water taffy, pork chop on a stick, Italian sausage grinder, a lamb burger, root beer, "shake-up" lemonade, once in a while a corn dog and a foot-long hotdog. This year Lynn tried the "Hot Beef Sundae" at the Cattlemen' s Beef Headquarters ... it consists of roast beef on a bowl with mashed potatoes on top and covered in gravy with a cheery tomato on top. She thought is was just OK. One of the local restaurants in Des Moines had a wrap (that was really good) the past few years but they were not at the Fair this year, 

Over all, this was a stellar year especially considering the weather. One of the best years for State Fair weather. We had a great time at the Fair and I'll have a couple more posts coming soon!

What are your favorite Iowa State Fair memories? Feel free to share them, I would love to read them!

Pastor Steve

 

(All Photo's Are Stock)

 





                                 


No comments: