Thursday, January 04, 2018

Reading Is For Rich People!

I will never forget hearing my teenage son inform his mother and I that "Reading is for Rich People!". That was his not so subtle way of telling us he didn't love to read ... didn't even like to read.

To be truthful, I think that stems from their father watching TV rather than reading ... to say the least, I was not a good role model in this (and many other) areas. Funny how time changes things!

Today, all of my kids enjoy reading and Dad has come around as well! 

Now I realize that my reading goals are radically different and MUCH smaller than some, I have one friend who read 110 book in 2017 and his office assistant read 10 more than he did!

For 2017 I managed to read the following books:

1)     The Cross Centered Life     by: C.J. Mahaney
2)     Finally Free     by: Heath Lambet
3)     Thoughts for Young Men    by J.C. Ryle
4)     The Big Fight: (Christian Men vs the World, the Flesh and the Devil)     by Tim Thornborough
     
5)     Preparing for Marriage: Help for Christian Couples  by: John Piper
6)     Sexual Intimacy in Marriage     by: William Cutrer
7)     Anger & Stress Management God's Way     by Wayne A. Mack
8)     Strange Fire     by: John MacArthur
9)     Who is Jesus     by: Josh McDowell
10)   Unbroken     by: Laura Hillenbrand
11)   Johnny Cash ... The Life     by: Robert Hilburn
12)   The Associate     by: John Grisham
13)   Zeal without Burnout     by: Christopher Ash
14)   H3 Leadership     by: Brad Lomenick
 
My goal for 2017 was 18 and I only made 14 but that was better than zero!

I already have (for me) a rather extensive reading list for 2018 ...

The Seven Rings of Marriage     By: Jackie Bledsoe
The Holiness of God     By: R.C. Sproll
Habits of Grace     By: David Mathis
Rescuing the Gospel     By: Erwin Lutzer
Dangerous Calling     By: Paul Tripp
The Gospel & Personal Evangelism     By: Mark Dever
Chosen By God     By: R.C. Sproll

This is just a start ... I always look forward to book recommendations from the sons and other friends!

So, What have you read that would make your all time "Must Read" list? Let me know ...

I remain, 
Pastor Steve

No comments: