Saturday, November 07, 2009

Camp Conference - Wrap Up

Things have been cooking here and so much has happened I have not had a chance to get back to the blog.

In my last post I said was headed to the coffee shop and a roaring fire. Shortly after arriving, coffee in hand and sitting around a table visiting with some folks, when one of the guys that I rode with to the conference walked up and asked me to take him to the hospital.

He was experiencing severe abdominal pain. My first thought was appendix but the pain was not in the right area. My friend said the pain was like a kidney stone but worse. So we loaded him into the car and headed in to town, a drive of about 15 miles.

Long story - longer! The diagnosis was a gall bladder attack. Arrive at hospital about 11:45 PM about 1:30 AM we were told our friend needed a CT scan and it would take 3 or more hours. We decided to go back to the camp and wait for a phone call to come back for our patient. Everyone agreed that would be the best plan. Arrived at the camp, turned up my ringer to blaring loud and fell asleep.

I awoke with a start at 6:15 AM realizing my phone had not rung yet, looking at it I realized/remembered ... very poor coverage! Picking up a voice mail, our buddy had called at 3:45 AM! He had been hanging out at the hospital for 3 hours! We jumped in the car and fetched him back to the camp.

For fear of another attack we made the decision to leave after lunch and head back to Iowa.

Great conference, very profitable and a great time of fellowship with camp staffers from all over the nation. Thank you to the Iowa Regular Baptist Camp Board and Director Phil Betz for allowing me to attend. It was a blessing!

No comments: