Wednesday, March 22, 2006

March Madness in High Gear!

Wow! What a difference a week makes!

Last week I was so excited for the NCAA Tournament. Iowa and UNI were set to compete and expectations were high. Then they actually played the games.

Iowa was defeated by one of the most incredible fall-away 3 point shot from the corner I have ever seen. I literally sat in stunned disbelief; I could not believe what I had just seen. Not just the last second 3 pointer but that Iowa frittered away an almost 20 point lead in the last 4 minutes of the ball game. It is still hard to fathom!

UNI came into the Big Dance with many on the national sports scene singing their praises and thinking that they were a legitimate “Sweet 16” team. That proved to be not so true either! One and done, but to their credit this was the third invite to the tournament in so many years.

I found it very interesting that Iowa State chose to announce that they fired their men’s basketball coach just 30 minutes before the Iowa game on Friday. And today we find that Iowa State has hired GREG MCDERMOTT away from UNI! In my humble opinion, great move for both ISU and Coach McDermott.

On another related basketball note, it was widely reported that Steve Alford would be snatched away by Indiana as their next coach. Then today it was reported that Indiana was interviewing two candidates and Alford was not one of them BUT Alford was interviewing with Missouri. However, the latest report in the Des Moines Register is that Coach Alford will not interview for the vacant men's basketball coaching position at Missouri. The coaching carousel continues!

It would be natural for you to expect that about here I would give my opinion on whether Alford should stay or go. The truth is I’m not sure…I really have not formulated my thoughts on this issue. I’ll keep you posted!

I Remain,
Pastor Steve

No comments: