Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Not So Quick Update - Shotgun #1

Well, by now most of you already know that I fell last Tuesday (12/4/2007) while deer hunting and broke both bones in my leg just above my ankle. That is the short version, here are the details:

I arrived at the farm where I hunt just before 9 AM after I drove a bus route and proceeded to put on the many layers of clothing needed to sustain warmth while sitting in a tree stand. That being accomplished I started to walk toward my stand. I got about 20 yards from my car when my right foot slipped on the ice. Trying to maintain my balance I torqued my body to the right and felt my left ankle literally explode!

Falling to the ground with a loaded firearm is not for the faint of heart! You must protect the gun and keep it pointed in a safe direction. After hitting the ground, pushing the gun away and taking inventory of any other physical damage I realized that other than my ankle I was in good shape. And yes, I know that round is a shape!

My next thought was that I needed two things: help & warmth. I always carry my cell phone with my when hunting so I called Lynn and told her to call 911 and get me some help because I was in serious trouble. Next I began crawling on my right side the 20 yards back toward my car where I knew the engine would still be warm and I could try to ease under the front end of the car for warmth.

After what seemed like forever, Philip arrived. He heard Lynn talking to me and jumped into our van and drove out to help me. He took care of my gun and other hunting equipment, making sure that it was stored properly, but most importantly he was there for me to talk to, that helped me to remain calm!

Mason City Fire Rescue arrived and began to get me ready for transport. Once on the gurney, the medics started walking toward the rescue unit. One of the medics said "Is the truck moving?" The answer was yes! Having parked on an incline, on pure ice, as we approached the truck it was slowly sliding away from us down the hill! Quickly securing the unit and loading me in we were on our way to the hospital in Mason City.

At the hospital it was determined that I was going to need surgery to properly set and repair my leg/ankle. I as of yet have no details as to the number of plates, screws & pins used to fix me up, hopefully I'll know more after my appointment with my surgeon in a couple of weeks.

That is the basic story ... but if you know me, there are a number of funny parts that I left out or this post would be just too long. I'll post more stories in the very near future!

Thanks for all of your notes and prayers!

I Remain,
Pastor Steve


Anonymous said...

Big Bro says: Deer 1 Steve 0!

Get well soon!!!!!!!

Str8Arrow said...

hope that you are on the mend. I got some ice cleats the you can borrow.

Erin said...

Ooohhhh! You'll do anything to relax and put your feet up won't you. Just kidding.