Tuesday, March 12, 2019

You Know You're A Bad Speller When ...

I am and always have been a horrendous speller! I struggled with spelling in my formative years and frankly have never really master the "Art of Spelling"!

My Mom & I
Actual Cover
When I was in High School my mom, bless her heart, even bought me a copy of the "Bad Spellers Dictionary"! She knew that I spelled everything phonically, so she buys me a book that I could really use!

So often, in grade school I was told to look up in the dictionary words I could not spell, However, I never understood how I was to look up a work if I already did not know how to spell itt to begin with in the first place!!!

Kept Close at Hand
Then, in college I happened across a book titled "20,000 Words Spelled and Divided for Quick Reference".  Literally, this book is kept in the lower left hand drawer of my desk in my office and I still reference it often!

By the way, the greatest thing to happen for us bad spellers was the invention of the Word Processor and the program that we know and love as "Spell Check"!

All of this now brings me to the reason for this particular blog post ... This morning as I was composing an email, I try to spell a word (NO, I will not tell you what word) and recognized my good friend Spell Check flagged it a being miss-spelled ... I selected the options for a list of possible words only to find my computer has no idea, not a clue of what I was trying to spell!

I reached into my lower left hand drawer and retrieved my "20,000 Words" book and promptly found the word I was needing!

Someone has said "Life is hard and it is even harder if your stupid" ... That is no doubt true, but, it helps to have a few "helps" & "cheaters" located in your lower left hand desk drawer!

I positive I'm not the only one who struggles with the simple task of spelling, so tell me what tricks and cheaters you use to make up for this deficit in your learning curve!!!

I Remain,
Pastor Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always an excellent speller. It started in grade school. Being too short and too uncoordinated to be good at any sports, I took pride when we had spelling bees and I was one of the best, while the grade school athletes had trouble spelling their own names. (not really that extreme) As I have aged, my spelling skill, although still pretty good, I find myself depending more and more on Spell Check....even to write this little ditty. I also find myself wishing I would have listened better in the class about proper sentence structure. I forgot about your blog so I'll try to check it more often! By the way, respond to whatling@iowatelecom.net. I don't usually check the Google e-mail

Big Bro said...

Spelling deficiency must run in the male members of our family. I have the same problem. It's so exasperating when I can't get close enough to a word spelling it phonetically that spell check can't find it. Like you I keep a dictionary close at hand when writing anything. Spell check saves me many times but it's not perfect.
Glad to see you're blogging again, I stop by often. Always interested in what my "little bro" is seeing his way.
Big Bro
PS: hate I'm not a robot stuff.