Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Book Review: "What Is Reformed Theology?" By; R.C. Sproul

In moving to the South Central Iowa area 4.5 years ago I was introduced to a theology that I was very unfamiliar with in many ways ... Reformed or Covenant Theology.

Having grown up Roman Catholic and being converted to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ in 1981, I began attending a Baptist church in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Long story short, I graduated from Faith Baptist Bible College in 1989 and began pastoring in a Baptist church in Illinois in 1991. In 1995, I accepted the call to the Baptist church in Clear Lake, Iowa and enjoyed almost 18 years of ministry there until my call to Bethel Baptist in Oskaloosa.

Theologically, my experience in Illinois was a hodge-podge of mostly main-line denominations. While ministering in CL, the predominant influence was Lutheran theology. As I mentioned, upon arriving in Oskaloosa, I found myself in the midst of the Reformed community.

Not being well verse in this area of theological study, I set myself to learning! I chose to read Dr. R.C. Sproul - whom I consider to be a leading voice in the Covenant theology camp. I have read a number of his books, but, by far this was the most explanatory in the important topic at hand!

The book is set up in two parts, part one lays out the "Foundations of Reformed Theology" and part two lays out the "Five Points of Reformed Theology" or as many will recognize the "Five Points of Calvinism" or the acrostic "TULIP".

My purpose in this review is not to debate the validity of Covenant Theology in any way, I simply want my readers to understand that this book, by far, does the best job if defining, explaining and clarifying this area of theology. While many in this theological camp just refer to it as "Reformed" one of the chapters in Dr. Sproul's book is entitled "Nicknamed Covenant Theology". I'm convinced that the proper title for this theology is Covenant, not because of the covenants God made with Adam, Noah or even David so clearly brought forth in scripture but  this theology is based on three overriding covenants of Redemption, Works and Grace. That is the one of the main keys to understanding Covenant Theology!

In my opinion, if you are looking for a succinct description and or explanation of Covenant Theology, this book will cover that need.

Closing Notes:

Dr. R.C. Sproul passed away in early December 2017.

Just because I have reviewed a book on this blog is not in any way a carte blanche approval of any author or their writings.

Pastor Steve   

No comments: